Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday games

Battle of Otisburg
 
American Civil War

Hosted by: Jeff Corbin
 Scale: 15mm; 
Rules: Johnny Reb 3 with slight modifications;

The Union and Confederates meet near the
vital Railway Junction and Supply Depots near
Otisburg. We Play with Johnny Reb 3 with
optional rules for Unit Quality and Leader
abilities.

I commanded a Rebel Brigade and was ordered to march quickly down the road (center of the picture from the town to the bottom of the picture) and seize the town.  My fellow Rebs would be converging on my position. This is about turn 3 or 4 as My Rebs are in the Town engaging the Union troops.  I would be facing 2 Union Brigades in the town with no support.

The 2 Union Regiments have eliminated 1 of my regiments and are in disorder.
On my right a Regiment engages a Union Regiment in a long distance firefight
A long view of the town fight showing the Union devastating the Rebels on my right flank

A long view showing the Rebels on my left flank getting a rough handleing


The fighting in the town was feirice with neither side giving in. Unfortunately trading regiments with an opponent who outnumbers you 2 to 1 is a losing proposition.  After a gallant fight the Rebels had to concede victory to the Union, the game was enjoyable, the companionship great, and the host friendly and helpful. 


Klein-Barmen: 
Rosenberg’s Desperate Charge 
(German South-West Africa, 1904) 
Theme Colonial
Hosted by:Roy Jones
 Scale: 25mm 
Rules: The Swordand the Flame (Modified)
 
Concealed Herero riflemen, firing from boulder
fighting positions, have stymied the German
attack at Klein-Barmen. In a desperate move,
Leutnant von Rosenberg is ordered to take his
5th Feldkompagnie, dash across unprotected
open ground, and take the Herero position by
storm! From the scenario book “The Herero
War”. More at: www.hererowars.com.

Pregame photos from the Imperial baseline
Pregame photos from the Imperial baseline
Pregame photos from the Imperial baseline
Pregame photos from the Imperial baseline
In a desperate move, Leutnant von Rosenberg is ordered to take his
5th Feldkompagnie, dash across unprotected open ground, and take the Herero position by storm! I was impressed into being the overall Imperial commander, As my Knees were needing a res I divided the ifantry between my 2 other Imperialist and kept the off board artillery for myself.  Looking over the situation, comment by one of my fellow Imperialist who had played this period, and the player notes provided by Roy, I decided the best Imperialist plan would be to play Pheasant hunter. While I would use the off board artillery with unlimited shell  to keep the Herero suppressed they would storm the hill and flush the Herero out into the open where their superior rifle fire and my limited shrapnel fire would eliminate them.  The red dot on the far hill represents such a successful suppression round of artillery.

The Herero commanders
Our Host, Roy Jones, in the center







I found that taking high altitude pictures allowed me to plan my fire missions with great effect.
During the game for every 3 fire missions, I was able to achieve suppression on 2 out of 3 times.
3 fire mission per turn, 6 dice per mission, suppression on a 1 or 2 on a d20
As you can see my only other job was to continually urge and direct the Germans to push for the 3rd level of the hill.


A group of Herero's have been flushed
The Herero's have pulled back rather that stand in the open
The 2 green dots mark 2 areas of suppression
My compatriots are closing upon the hill in the face of constant Herero sniping

A melee on the right

The grey rocks are the 3rd level and our ultimate objective


On the last move, Leutnant von Rosenberg inspires 3 of his units to charge the Herero and gain the rocky top of the hill for victory. While the unit he was with faltered all other units charged home.

Leutnant von Rosenberg cleared the Herero's from their position before his support could arrive. 

With the other successful melees, the victory point total at the end of the game was Herero's 7 and Imperialist 12, gaining a very hard fought German victory.


Lundy’s Lane in Majestic 54mm
Rules: All the King’s Men 2nd edition; Number of Players: 4.
All the King’s Men presents the War of 1812

Battle of Lundy’s Lane in 54mm. Come decide
the fate of the Niagara Peninsula as British and
American generals indulge in toy soldier fun.
Simple rules don’t make for a simple game,
however. Every order you issue has its price,
and night is falling. Who is that ahead, friend or
foe?




























































No comments:

Post a Comment